[PLUG] Firefox phone

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Sun Apr 6 03:47:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 12:21:11PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I'm behind the curve on smartphones.  I don't want to be in a walled
> garden (iPhone) or use apps that collect data on me (Android).

Assuming you trust the open source side of Android, it is possible to
avoid the spyware.  You probably won't achieve that without going the
third-party ROM route, though (Cyanogenmod, etc.).  And you'll have to
forego most of Google's apps, as they're doing their best to close off
all of the shiny parts of Android, replacing what were once open
source apps with proprietary replacements.  Happily, there is no
requirement to have any of those apps installed on a device for it to
be fully functional (i.e., it'll work just fine without Google Play).

  https://source.android.com/
  http://www.cyanogenmod.org/about

There is free and open source software available for Android.  The
community is, sadly, quite small, though (especially compared to what
we enjoy in the Linux world).  The F-Droid project is making a good
effort to bring easily-installable open source apps to Android, and
its maintainers appear suitably concerned about security and privacy
issues.

  https://f-droid.org/

--
Paul Mullen