[PLUG] Open Source - Home Security Cameras

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 16:00:01 UTC 2014

I am new to the list, have been living here in Kalama WA
now for two years, I have been using ZoneMinder for over
10 years. I use it here in the glass plant, and also I have
a server (not installed) which I brought from my home in
Tampa when we moved here.

I use all IP cameras on it and it works great. When I lived
in Tampa one of my amateur radio friends who is a com-
mericial security systems guy told me that ZoneMinder
had things that only very expensive DVR products have,
and I have used it to do all sort of detection things.

Take a look at it:
www.zoneminder.com

It is VERY flexible and of course ALL open source. There
is a large community. I am running it on a very BIG box
her (8 xeon 24G memory server because I had it and I
expect to expand the thing) but you can run it on most
anything that you can get your hands on in this day and
age. It likes a lot of memory and a 500G Hd will keep 8
cameras with 6 months of history easy.

I run all IP cameras though it can do both IP and analogue
cams. I usually set the cameras up on a 1gb island lan
so i am not routing video over a shared resource, but if
you are only sending a few images every once and a while
you can try your hand at sharing your lan. the only part
that needs to be a gb link is between the DVR and the
switch, most cameras are 100mb, Make sure that the
switch has enough space so it does not block if you get
several cameras being hit at the same time.

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Tyrell Jentink <tyrell at jentink.net> wrote:

> I won't speak to the subject of hardware or recording software, because I
> have no experience with either... But for cloud storage, just about
> anything can store encrypted files. You can encrypt the video archives and
> sync them to Dropbox, and there ain't no one watching them without your
> decryption key.
>
> And if you set it to auto delete at a sane interval, you should be able to
> keep the total storage size on the cloud pretty reasonable (and in turn,
> cheap) as well.
>
> I would personally be tempted to NOT have a streaming server with
> associated holes in my firewall, and instead rely souly on whatever cloud
> service I ended up using to access the recordings. That way, IF you trust
> the encryption on the files, the only security risk is equivalent to basic
> web browsing.
> On Apr 5, 2014 10:25 AM, "Guy Letourneau" <guy1656 at opusnet.com> wrote:

> > > How about thinking it through?
> >
> > This question implies that I had not already thought things through.
> > Yes, the political opinions are better discussed on plug-talk.
> > Nevertheless we had 3 paragraphs from one political side, before that
> > notion was addressed. Hmm.
> >
> > NEW QUESTION:
> >
> > Home security cameras and Linux:
> >
> > I often wonder about networked home security cameras with an ability to
> > stream to internet or cloud storage in to preserve evidence out of reach
> > of the miscreants harming one's property.
> >
> > The advantage of open source (in that it is inspectable by many
> > disinterested persons) is that users can be more confident that there
> > are either no software backdoors built in and possibly that if any
> > hardware backdoors are discovered, that there maybe software patches
> > which available to them.
> >
> > Otherwise you might get THIS:
> >

> http://www.latinospost.com/articles/25613/20130815/video-baby-monitor-hacked-texas-foreign-man-who-called-toddler.htm
> >
> > So - is anyone playing around with home security using remote storage of
> > surveillance video which is secure from unauthorized access?
> > (Including where a lawful private citizen wishes to resist access by the
> > data hosting company, or by lower levels of government?)
> >
> > - G

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.