[PLUG] KVM grief

John Meissen john at meissen.org
Mon Apr 7 18:52:53 UTC 2014

Not a Linux issue per se, but looking for recommendations, anecdotes, etc.

I have an older Cybex 8-port VGA KVM that I've used for a long time, and
generally I like it a lot. The problem is that it doesn't support the monitor
EDID function. I've worked around this until now by specifying modelines in
Linux, manually configuring Windows drivers, and using 3rd-party tools with
MacOSX. A PITA, but generally something only needed once per system.

I have a new Mac Pro, and my 3rd-party tools approach doesn't work. Macs are
not my forte, and I haven't been able to find any solutions online.

So I'm looking for a hardware solution. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a modern
KVM.

I need an affordable rackmount 8-port KVM that supports EDID (DDC) (I've seen
models for $999, that's NOT affordable). Alternatively, I've seen single-port
EDID emulators that I could use to solve this specific issue. I'd prefer a
more general solution, though, since this issue will come up again.

Any recommendations for KVMs would be greatly appreciated.

john-