[PLUG] KVM grief

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Mon Apr 7 23:11:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 01:15:26PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I use an ioGear 4 port DVI/USB KVM for four computers sharing one monitor.
> If they all reboot (perhaps because of a power failure), only the default
> selected computer gets EDID information, the others don't.  I can select the
> other machines one at a time, then restart X on them (Ctrl-alt-backspace),
> and they will get proper EDID while selected.  This may work for your Mac.
> If you can use xconfig for the rest of the machines, you can put the Mac
> on the default port for the KVM.

... and the &(^%*&$ ioGear just failed on me.  Maybe I can fix it.

Meanwhile, hunting around for clues, I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-DVI-EDIDN-DVI-Detective-N/dp/B000VXHBAI/

That is DVI, not VGA, but there might be a similar device that stores
EDID information for VGA from another manufacturer.  Good hunting!

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com