[PLUG] xmodmap Stopped Working [RESOLVED?]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 8 13:02:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014, Ken Stephens wrote:

> The obvious question unanswered here is what did you do last week?

Ken,

   Yesterday afternoon the keymap switching was lost a couple of times as I
was working with various applications. That is, the situation was
inexplicably getting worse.

   This morning, I logged in to the system and xmodmap was invoked and has
apparently worked ... so far. :-)

   This seems to be one of those irritating computer tricks that Just Happens
(TM). On the other hand, it might have been resolved using the approach of a
Debian (version unknown) user with the problem. In ~/.bashrc I now have:

if [ -n $DISPLAY ]; then
   /usr/bin/xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
fi

which is a pretty clever solution, in my opinion.

Thanks for your ideas, Ken. They're always welcome.