[PLUG] loadkeys & xmodmap

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 8 22:49:11 UTC 2014

   My reading suggests that the only reason we have loadkeys for console
keymaps and xmodmap for X Window System keymaps is that some might want
different keymaps for each environment. But, functionally, they are the
same.

   If so, my adding an executable rc.keymap that directs /usr/bin/loadkeys to
load ctrl.map.gz would work on both consoles and virtual terminals.

   Is this correct? And, if so, where do I search for a reason why that
mapping is sometimes, infrequently, and unpredictably lost?