[PLUG] So I want to write a web app

Eric House eehouse at eehouse.org
Wed Apr 9 15:05:28 UTC 2014

I'm a long-time Linux user/developer with a personal project that
needs a web interface.  I could throw it together with apache and
python and postgres, all of which I know well enough to get myself in
trouble, but I have a sneaky feeling that in the last 10 years there
have evolved solutions that would make the job a lot easier.  I've
never done serious work in that space so I have no clue where to
begin.

Some background: I've been developing an open source Scrabble(tm)
play-alike for various mobile platforms for the past 10 years or so.
Currently I'm focussed on Android (see .sig), and specifically on
localization.  Localization on Android looks like this: you have a
master/English .xml file that lists all your user-visible strings, and
can then provide other per-language files that override them.  The
actual work of localizing to a language means sending the English .xml
file to a translator (in my case, a volunteer who likes my app).  It's
a pain initially, and only gets worse, as changes in the English .xml
have to be tracked and communicated.

My experience is that volunteers never stick around -- it's just too
much work.

So I want to wrap the process in a web app: I'll give 'em a URL to a
page that shows the English side-by-side with editable fields into
which they put translations.  The app will pull from git, so it'll
show new strings as soon as I add them.  Greater integration with git
and of postgres would allow me to show the translator when he'd made
changes, when I'd made additions, older versions of his strings he's
discarded, etc.  See where this is going?  Putting something up won't
take all that long, but making it really usable could steal six months
from the mobile development I prefer.

Are there any frameworks out there (all open source, of course, and bonus
if I can just apt-get them :-) that'll make this a single-weekend project,
or close.

Thanks!

--Eric