[PLUG] Multi-page TIFF

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 22 22:22:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014, Chuck Hast wrote:

> It just seems strange that a format as common as tiff and multi-page tiff
> (faxes are captured as multi-page tiff) is such a problem to see supported
> in my favourite OS.

Chuck,

   Faxes are no longer common ... at least for many of us. They've been
replaced by PDF attachments to e-mail messages.

   FWIW, when I use 'display' on the files I see this error on the virtual
terminal:

[rshepard at salmo ~/workspace]$ display 8501D-m-2page.tif
display: 8501D-m-2page.tif: unknown field with tag 34860 (0x882c)
encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory' @ warning/tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/838.

And when I load it in xv I see a message box telling me that,

"Unknown field with tag 34860."

   Since two viewers are seeing the same issue I would suspect the CAD
generator is not completely compliant with the .tif specification. Then
again, I may be completely wrong.