[PLUG] XaraLX no longer runs

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 23:46:18 UTC 2014

That was a interesting bit of history, brings back memories. All I need to
do with the tiffs is read them or look at them and be able to interpret the
drawings, Once we get past that we will look at say printing, when i do a
edit, I export the thing to a pdf and do it there, but again there are too
many of them to do them all.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> Although I do not use it often, I have long had the free XraLX graphics
> application installed, currently on Xubuntu 13.10, x86_64. While trying
> to figure out if I could come up with a solution for Chuck Hast's
> multipage tiff problem I tried to launch it, and got nada. From the
> command line I get the following undecipherable error message:
>
>         xaralx: relocation error: xaralx: symbol
>         _ZTV19wxGnomePrintFactory, version WXU_2.8 not defined in file
>         libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0 with link time reference
>
> For those not familiar with XaraLX I should give a little history. Way,
> way back in the early days of desktop publishing on PCs the leading
> graphics applications were CorelDRAW (for vector files on a PC), Adobe
> Illustrator (for vector files on a Mac, and later a PC) and Photoshop
> (for bitmaps on both platforms). CorelDRAW was Windows only, and
> actually started in the days of Windows 2.0, if anyone can remember
> that far back.
>
> CorelDRAW always had issues, mainly because founder Michael Cowpland
> was a genius at designing user interfaces, much less so at running a
> business, and he totally sucked at writing code or managing staff who
> could do so. Corel was famous buggy code.
>
> A couple years or so before Cowpland gave up trying to run Corel
> Corporation and sold everything to a private investment company, the
> upstart competitor Xara (different versions known as XaraLX and Xara
> Xtreme) was launched. Xara promised to offer every feature that
> CoreDRAW had, plus it would be vastly cheaper, and (hopefully)
> relatively bug-free, as well as lighter and faster. At the time the
> Windows DTP community was abuzz with the possibility.
>
> During the days of Breezy Badger Xara released a free Linux version, as
> well as the source code.
>
> http://www.xaraxtreme.org/download.html
>
> Sadly, little has been done with it since then, although it's still
> available. Indeed, it is in Ubuntu's repos, which is how I installed
> it. At the above link there is also a package that you can download and
> just run without using apt. It also says that it is 32-bit, but can be
> compiled for 64-bit architecture.
>
> At this point the easiest solution would probably be to decipher the
> above error message and solve whatever problem is causing it. Failing
> that, perhaps I should attempt to compile it from the source. If anyone
> has any idea what the above error message means, I could use some
> suggestions.
>
> And Chuck, if you're listening, I'm pretty sure Xara can open
> (although not edit) tiff files, so if you can get it to run you might
> give it a shot at your problem.

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.