[PLUG] Help! Can't log in!

Atom Powers atom.powers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 23:09:48 UTC 2014

Heh, that is because '*' will never match a password hash.
Now, if you can't get in with another account, you /must/ boot from a live
CD and change the password to something. Note that after you boot from the
live CD you will probably have to first remount your root with '-o rw' or
you won't be able to save your changes.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:29:38 -0700 (PDT)
> alan at clueserver.org dijo:
>
> >If you have a Live System DVD you can boot off of that and then mount
> >the file system. Take the password hash out of /etc/shadow, then
> >reboot. You should have no password and you can just re-add it.
>
> Even easier than using the live DVD, from the login screen I just did
> Ctrl-F1, which got me to a command line. From the command line I was
> able to log in as JJJ. (Which I suppose that it is only the login
> screen that is messed up; my password and account still work.)
>
> Once logged in I opened /etc/shadow as root (using nano) and added * in
> front of the JJJ line. Then I rebooted. Sadly, I should not have done
> that, because now I can't log in, even at the command line. Whatever I
> enter for the password (including leaving it blank) results in
> "incorrect password" error. I get the same error message if I try to
> log in as root.

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--