[PLUG] Ink Jet printer

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 22:07:42 UTC 2014

I do not know if this will help but here at the plant where I work the CEO
uses a Mac. He was trying to get it to talk to the network printer in the
office area, with no joy. He asked me to take a look at it, I did so and
ended up loading Linux drivers into his Mac to solve the problem, so it
would appear that they do use bits and pieces of Linux in that system
also. It seems to me that I have not really had a printer issue for at
least the past 7 years. I used to carry a Linux laptop around with me
and I was always able to find a way to get it to talk to every printer I
encountered.

Here at work I am fascinated by the issues that my colleagues have
with the printer, I never seem to have a issue with it, there was a up
grade where I needed to restart the print daemon (not the whole machine
just the daemon) the rest of the office had all kinds of issues, mine
was a nit. All of them are on XP.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>wrote:

> While shopping around I was told that since the Mac uses Cups, a
> printer which will work with a Mac will (likely) work with Linux.
> Does this sound reasonable to you?  The list of Linux-compatible
> printers tends to be years behind the market, so what is sold is not
> on the list, and what is on the list is not sold (locally, at any
> rate).  Hence the reason for the Cups question.
>
> Thanks,
> -Denis

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.