[PLUG] Ubuntu Long Term Support?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Aug 5 15:31:57 UTC 2014

On 08/04/2014 10:13 PM, Robert Citek wrote:
> FWIW, I ran this on my 12.04 LTS server system:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-trusty linux-image-generic-lts-trusty
> $ sudo reboot
>
> Now the message "Your current Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE) is going
> out of support
> on 2014-08-07. ..."  has been replaced with "Your Hardware Enablement
> Stack (HWE) is supported until April 2017."

<Rant mode on>

Well, trusty is 14, so installing that puts some 14 stuff into a 12
system. I tried 14 for a couple of months. Lots of stuff didn't work
well. I went back to 12. I no longer can trust that what I get from
Ubuntu won't break something I use.

It's not just the Ubuntu folks, though. The version of Libre Office that
comes with 14 changes some things that my fingers learned how to do.
<ctrl>H brings up the find and replace dialog. In the version that comes
with 12 the tab order goes from the Search for text box to the Replace
with text box. In the version that comes with 14 the tab order goes from
the Search for text box to the Find button, then to the Find All button,
and then to the Replace with text box. I use this feature frequently and
am used to putting in the thing I want changed in the Search for text
box and tabbing to the Replace with text box. It was very annoying to
have that not work and have to use three tabs to get to the Replace with
text box.

There were other little annoyances I've now forgotten, but it was enough
to make me very happy when I went back to 12.

There are also other things related to Gnome Classic that are slightly
different from Gnome fallback that are annoying. And since Ubuntu wants
the world to go to Unity, I'm looking at alternatives that understand
the value of not fixing things that aren't broke.

<Rant mode off>

Sigh.

--
Regards,