[PLUG] a RANT, was Re: Ubuntu Long Term Support?

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 19:37:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com>
wrote:

> In the real world, not the software one, vast change occurs behind
> standardized interfaces.  When I plug in a toaster, it works,
> regardless of whether the power comes from California or British
> Columbia, coal plant or solar cell.

My cell phone adapter kit disagrees.

Something as numbingly simple as a wall voltage interface is still wildly
different around the world.

>  Interoperability and
> consistency permits modern civilization, without which no programmer
> would have a physically stable environment to program in, much less
> a vast network of interoperable standard hardware that can move their
> code-typing to the far side of the planet in a fraction of a second.

I agree that standards are awesome, which is why there are so many to
choose from.

Flexibility, within a range of parameters, is what I would argue "Makes
things work".

> P.P.S.  ... http ... foo.com ... thank you Tim Berners-Lee and
> Brad Templeton for some surprisingly durable standards.   Your
> shit still works after decades, the addons maybe sorta.

<blink> It's funny how things get polluted. </blink>

-Bop