[PLUG] Determining Why Perl Script Fails

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 6 19:35:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, Dale Snell wrote:

> ENOTTY is an error; one could translate it as "Error: No Terminal". At a
> guess, logwatch tried to open a device or file as a target to recieve its
> standard output, and failed. Why, I do not know. It's going to take some
> more troubleshooting, I'm afraid.

Dale,

   I agree that there is no apparent simple answer. Unless the ENOTTY error
relates to mailing the output rather than displaying it, that error is
likely not significant. Examples:

ioctl(3, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or SNDRV_TIMER_IOCTL_NEXT_DEVICE or TCGETS,
0xbfac8de8) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
stat64("/var/cache/logwatch/logwatch.CSbhPkjD/none", 0x9ef6180) = -1 ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
stat64("/etc/logwatch/scripts/services/zz-zfs", 0x9ef6180) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
ioctl(3, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or SNDRV_TIMER_IOCTL_NEXT_DEVICE or TCGETS,
0xbfac8de8) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

Thanks,