[PLUG] Help! Update won't boot (SOLVED)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 16:39:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 08:54:06 -0700
Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> dijo:

>John,
>
>I use Debian and not Ubuntu, but they are closely related. I use
>apt-get to manage upgrades and I have had problems in the past where
>the upgrade fails, sometimes silently, and then things are out of
>whack - missing packages, won't boot, etc. I have found that
>re-running the upgrade sometimes fixes the problem. What is most
>helpful is running the upgrade from the command line and seeing the
>output - usually there is a message with a clue as to what happened.
>dmesg is also very helpful to diagnose the problem once you can boot
>the system.
>
>The point of my post is to suggest running upgrades from the command
>line, or find where ubuntu stores these messages (probably a log file
>somewhere), or pipe the upgrade messages to a log file if you have to
>use the gui so you can start to find the reasons for your
>upgrade-weirdness. At a minimum, you can google the messages to see
>what they mean and how to fix the problems.

When doing the upgrade with Update Manager there is a Detail button
that displays a terminal so you can view what it is doing, and I did
that during the upgrade yesterday. Unfortunately, it goes by too fast
to read much of it, and there is so much that the entire text would
probably fill a book.

During the past hour I've discovered half a dozen more programs that
were uninstalled, and a couple more where the executable will no longer
launch. Dist-upgrades suck rocks.