[PLUG] Help! Update won't boot (SOLVED)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 20:01:43 UTC 2014

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 10:06:58 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Thu, 7 Aug 2014, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> During the past hour I've discovered half a dozen more programs that
>> were uninstalled, and a couple more where the executable will no
>> longer launch. Dist-upgrades suck rocks.

>Perhaps a distribution with a longer release cycle but a more visible
>approach to upgrades would suit your needs better. The time you invest
>in learning more details will be saved by not having to go back and
>repair breaks you did not know happened.
>
>I recall your using Fedora in the past; it might be worth another look by
>you.

Fedora's release cycle is the same as the *buntus. I used Fedora for a
couple of years and eventually gave up on it. One time I did a
dist-upgrade and, without so much as a 'by your leave' it switched me
to an LVM, and worse - there were no tools yet to resize a partition.
It was constantly doing stuff like that without telling me. And your
support period is only one year; no LTS releases. Now, I understand
that it is funded by Red Hat and they use it as a test bed for stuff to
be included in the next version of Red Hat, so pushing the user to the
bleeding edge is understandable. I can forgive them, but I can't
tolerate it.

Just now I came back to my upgraded Ubuntu 14.04.1 and discovered that
the screen was locked. I remember setting it never to lock the screen a
long time ago, and it never did until just now. And that's not an
uninstalled package or missing dependency; that's a user preference.
What made them think I wouldn't mind if they changed my preferences?
Yes, I can fix it, but grrrr.

Even before this I decided that at the next Clinic I am going to
install Slackware on my old Lenovo T61. The computer works fine; I just
replaced it because it was over five years old and I was worried that
some critical component might fail soon. It will be a good test bed for
me to poke around with Slackware for a bit.