[PLUG] Urgent: MongoDB replication

aaron at bavariati.org aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Aug 7 20:49:24 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-06 22:50, Michael Dexter wrote:
> I'll bite. So far I've heard: "Horrible MongoDB is better than
> horrible
> CouchDB and PostgreSQL JSON extensions are now as fast as the hipster
> JSON DB's.

More or less true, though I suspect CouchDB is not as horrible as
generally thought, if only because it doesn't make the extravagant
claims that MongoDB does.
No experience with Postgres JSON, was curious but not *that* curious.

> Given that the project as a very brief window to change direction,
> what
> would you recommend and what replicated solution are there people who
> can assist with here and now?

My experience so far has been that you can sometimes treat
MongoDB/Couch as placeholders for a real data-persistence system while
you're prototyping something.
Then once your schema has settled down, you move to something like
MySQL, with some good http and data caching.

Meantime, you have some sort of urgent issue with MongoDB replication.
Can you elaborate?

Also, I do not believe that there is NOBODY on PLUG who's ever dealt
with MongoDB besides me.