[PLUG] Sound quality driving me to the dark side

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Aug 9 00:03:05 UTC 2014

Readers with unfortunately good memories will recall that I use an old
program called Transcribe along with a separate old program called
Footpedal to play back audio recordings for the purpose of transcribing
them. Some of you may also recall that I've been fooling around, from
time to time, with updating those programs to run well on Ubuntu 12.
When I switched to Ubuntu 14 they wouldn't work at all. A few months ago
I realized that those programs work well on Ubuntu 10, so I created a
VirtualBox Ubuntu 10 machine just for the purpose of running them. This
solution has worked well, for the most part.

Yesterday I ran into a problem that tells me that explains why I haven't
been able to dedicate the time to those programming projects. Some of
the audio files I get are plagued by distortion. I commented about a
particularly noisy file to the fellow I get the work from. He listened
to it on his end and said that it was clean. This made me wonder if the
problem was on my end. I listened to the file with Audacity and
discovered that the noise was considerably reduced -- not completely
gone, but much better than when played on Transcribe.

I had been planning on re-writing Transcribe so that it would run on
Ubuntu 14, but since I would be using the same library calls as the old
version I wouldn't be getting rid of the noise. Transcribe -- and Totem
Movie Player (which seems to go by a different name as Ubuntu releases
progress) -- both use gstreamer for playing audio. So, when I listen to
a file with either tool it sounds the same. Being in a hurry to meet a
deadline I borrowed my wife's Win7 laptop, installed a demo copy of
GearPlayer 4, and got the work out.

As I mentioned above, the noise was reduced with Audacity, so they must
use different libraries for reproducing sound than gstreamer. Audacity
was good enough that, if I could figure out a way to control it with a
foot pedal, I'd consider using it. However, that's not what Audacity is
designed for, and it's not all that clear that there is a way to insert
the foot pedal into its controls.

Now for the part related to the dark side. From my experience using
GearPlayer yesterday and again today, I've concluded that I need to
spend the money for it. However I'd rather not have to run two machines.
(I've done this before, and will probably continue to do it for the time
being, but I'd rather just run the one machine.) My current desktop has
the resources to support virtual machines, so I'm considering setting up
a Win7 virtual machine just to run GearPlayer. Does anyone have
experience setting up VirtualBox with Win7? Are there any gotchas I need
to worry about before going out and getting a legal copy of Win7?

Thanks for understanding my unfortunate need to proceed to the dark side.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens