[PLUG] Sound quality driving me to the dark side

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 00:21:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com>
wrote:

> On 08/11/2014 04:25 PM, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
> > I like Michael's suggestion, but if that can't be easily scripted, there
> > are other transcoders (might be as easy as something like mp3gain set to
> > reduce clipping - which doesn't re-encode the audio - or maybe it would
> > take a reencode (or a decode - mpg123 -w for instance, if you don't mind
> > having a .wav temporarily).
>
> Actually, I don' t mind having a .wav at all.

well, then I'd be interested to hear if you have good results just using
mpg123 -w file.wav file.mp3 and using the wav file instead.  My offhanded
guess as to the nature of the corruption is in the decoding (since the file
sounds fine elsewhere) and having something else decode it might do the
trick...or it might be about content (and in that case you could check out
mp3gain which can programatically normalize the file to make sure it isn't
clipping)