[PLUG] Allow URL w/o 'www' to reach web site

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 12 02:09:38 UTC 2014

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, Jim Garrison wrote:

> Your DNS is misconfigured and needs to be fixed. The following need to
> happen:
>
> 1) Create an MX record for the domain appl-ecosys.com that points
>   to your mail server 50.38.87.100
>
> 2) Modify the existing A record for the domain appl-ecosys.com to
>   point to your WEB server 216.99.193.149
>
> 3) Modify the existing A record for www.appl-ecosys.com to a
>   CNAME record pointing to appl-ecosys.com
>
> 4) Have your web hosting company change the configuration so that
>   both hostnames (appl-ecosys.com and www.appl-ecosys.com) are
>   recognized as referring to your website.

Jim,

   Wes pointed out the same solution. Next week, when I'm back from a
business trip, I'll contact tech support at namecheap for help in making
these changes. The domain configuration page has a section with host name,
IP address, record type, and sub-domain settings. The other section, for
mail, has host name, mail server host name, and mail type. So, translating
what you and Wes write to the configuration page will take help from the
namecheap folks.

   dig used to show a MX record for the domain/IP address, but that was also
when I had a static IP address, not a dynamic one.

Thanks,