[PLUG] Samsung S5 and Ubuntu 12.04,

MIke Connors mike.connors at albertagrocery.coop
Tue Aug 19 17:36:20 UTC 2014

On 08/19/2014 08:04 AM, Chuck Hast wrote:
> Folks,
> When i plug the phone into the machine via USB, I can see the directory
> structure, but all of the directories are empty. I can see all kinds of
> google recommendations, some of which I have tried. At this time I get
> around it by starting a SSH server on the phone and going in and pulling
> my files that way, but I would just like to plug the phone into the USB
> port and be able to go in and pull my files without having to start SSH
> and then forget to stop it (sucks battery for some reason)
>
> I can see the whole directory structure in the phone but if you open a
> directory it reports as emplty.

To the best of my understanding in Android v4, USB block mode transfer
was dropped in favor of MTP, so I think that's why you're only see empty
directories.

Interestingly enough, Samsung provides an application called Kies for
data syncing/transferring
between their phones and Mac & Windows computers, but not for Linux.

However, there's a Linux app called gMTP and this blog article,
http://www.humans-enabled.com/2011/12/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-nexus-mtp.html,
provides a pretty good step-by-step write-up on how to install it. The
article is from 2011, but the last update to gMTP is 7/25/2014, so it's
still currently supported.

HTH!

Cheers,

Mike