[PLUG] Cinnamon desktop auto-logout

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 16:09:13 UTC 2014

On 08/19/2014 10:19 AM, Michael Dexter wrote:
> On 8/20/14 10:10 AM, Ben Koenig wrote:
>> Hey I talked to the other IT intern at Free Geek (he brings in a PC-BSD
>> laptop). He said he saw something about how PC-BSD wants to log you out
>> when you lock the screen, instead of just locking it, but we weren't
>> able to verify that.
> It kicks into the screen saver all the time without issues but somehow
> Cinnamon has it's special preference. Any suggestion of what config
> files to look at? It was not very obvious where Cinnamon is keeping things.
>
> Thanks for looking into it!
>
> Michael
Uh.. Yeah! It isn't obvious because there are no config files. Surprise!
Cinnamon uses dconf, Which if I understand correctly puts database files
in $HOME/.config/dconf/ that store settings for various programs, like
Cinnamon. Maybe a fun project would be hacking this file directly....

However, if you want to bypass the standard configuration GUI I
recommend the dconf-editor program. In Debian that's:

apt-get install dconf-editor

I would guess BSD has it.

Have Fun!
Ben