[PLUG] Samsung S5 and Ubuntu 12.04,

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:38:33 UTC 2014

I use several of these, they spin up a SSH server on the phone, and
that allows me to get into it and poke around pull or put files. One of
the things that I have noticed is that some hotels must block all non-
essential ports, because I can not get it to work in some hotel net-
works. Then you end up going direct to the device, and that can be
another mess at times. But the gMTP is working great, also DropBox
is my friend. But that is also where I have others go to get files from
work done on the road. I would rather stay away from SMB it is noisy.
Need to see what I can do to cut some of that SMB chatter down, SSH
is so quiet, once you have a server on the source device SMB is just
a irritant to me at least.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Nat Taylor <bioborg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah I use airdroid or AndFTP  (I guess you could use AndSMB if you had
> that set up too)
>

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 08/19/14 10:09, Joe Shisei Niski wrote:
> > > Not sure about the S5, but my Nexus4 appears only as a "media device"
> > when
> > > i connect it via usb, and i can't manipulate files (my old Nexus 1
> > > dutifully shows up as storage on every OS i've connected it to, not
> sure
> > > why this capability is missing from an otherwise very capable phone).
> > >
> > > The "AirDroid" app from the Play Store provides a really nice UI for
> > > browsing/uploading/downloading to/from the phone's filesystem, and you
> > can
> > > easily limit access to the phone from a local network only.
> >
> > I'll second the AirDroid recommendation.  It's a great way to quickly
> > transfer photos, etc.  No cable required.  Just direct your browser to
> > the URL supplied by the AirDroid app.
> >
> > galen
> > --
> > Galen Seitz
> > galens at seitzassoc.com

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.