[PLUG] RPM installing an RPM

Daniel Herrington herda05 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 07:21:16 UTC 2014

It's a third part installer. My initial attempt was to take their silent
install and wrap that with and rpm.

Their installer expands a bunch of files into /tmp copies them over to the
specified install directory, executes some configuration (updating files,
creaking security keys, etc.) then runs rpm to essentially just register
itself within the rpm db.

I can't break into their installer, as it would most likely void the
support contract, or at the very least if they called with an issue on the
machine, support would make them reinstall to prove it wasn't their
installer that caused the issue.

Can I use dependencies to point to the third party install, and within
that, the subsequent rpms?

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM, chris (fool) mccraw <gently at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Last time I had to do something like that, I shipped a shell script with a
> bunch of rpm's embedded in it (in a shell archive), which first extracted
> them and then installed them serially (where needed) and in a group (where
> not needed).
>
> This worked well enough to circumvent the problem.
>
> This was 2001.  Sad to hear things haven't improved in that world, yet!
> On Dec 3, 2014 5:56 PM, "Daniel Herrington" <herda05 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Can you have RPM call a third party installer that then calls RPM?
> > I tried this a month ago and could not get around a lock error on the rpm
> > db, I googled and saw an email thread form some years ago where the reply
> > was no. I'm wondering if I just didn't look hard enough. I eventually
> > abandoned for a self-extracting installer, but thought I'd revisit the
> > problem
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Daniel B. Herrington