[PLUG] Boosting WiFi Signals & Cellular Connection of Portable to 'Net

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 5 00:03:52 UTC 2014

   Some hotels have weak wifi radios; about 60% is the strongest signal wicd
shows in my room. Is there an antenna or USB-based booster that works on a
linux-running laptop to strengthen that signal?

   Other places (e.g., pricey hotels and convention centers) have no free
wifi access; some will charge $$$ per day for access as a 'guest.' Is there
an external unit that will allow my Slackware running laptop to access the
'Net via my account with Verizon Wireless? I was told by an exhibitor at the
trade show such beasts are available from Verizon but I find nothing about
this on their Web site. I'd rather buy than rent from Verizon if possible.