[PLUG] Boosting WiFi Signals & Cellular Connection of Portable to 'Net

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 15:40:12 UTC 2014

I have a 2 meter USB extension cable, it comes in very handy for that sort
of thing, putting a USB WiFi radio in a location where it can hear the AP.
I carry one around as part of my away kit. Sometimes the place where you
set your computer is not in best of coverage,  but you move the thing around
a bit and you find a hot spot, but it is not where you can set your
computer.

I usually end up draping the thing over a lamp shade. Remember the nulls
and reinforcements come every 1/4 of a wave length, 2.4Ghz is 12.5cm and
1/4 of that is going to be 3.125cm so if you move the antenna just a wee
bit at
this frequency it will move in and out of good spots quite rapidly. At 5Ghz
it
will be half of that. So you do not need to move things around much once
you get into better signal levels, there are other issues too, but it looks
like
there has been a lot of data provided for you to start with.

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 6:02 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Dec 2014, elcaseti . wrote:
>
> > To increase your wifi range by quite a bit, I'd suggest using an ALFA usb
> > wifi device. I've had very good luck with them on GNU/Linux distros &
> they
> > will accept an external antenna.
>
> Elcaset,
>
>    Thank you. I'll look into this.
>
> Rich

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.