[PLUG] Boosting WiFi Signals & Cellular Connection of Portable to 'Net

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 15:58:24 UTC 2014

OK, now that you have told me that bit about pointing it in different
directions
I will say something about polarization. The wave front is polarized, and
depending on how the AP was setup it can be horizontal or vertical, and of
course travel through walls and being reflected will twist the
polarization, so
not only do you want the antenna to face towards the source you may want
to rotate it to see if you get more signal. Off polarization antennas can
cost
a lot of dB. When doing links that is a old trick to run two antennas in
closer
proximity, run one horizontal and the other vertical and you will get about
30
dB of isolation.

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Dec 2014, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > I have a 2 meter USB extension cable, it comes in very handy for that
> sort
> > of thing, putting a USB WiFi radio in a location where it can hear the
> AP.
>
> Chuck,
>
>    Good idea. I have a WiFi signal strength tester (4 LEDs, no meter) and
> have seen how pointing it in different directions within the hotel room
> can change the signal strength.
>
> > I carry one around as part of my away kit. Sometimes the place where you
> > set your computer is not in best of coverage, but you move the thing
> > around a bit and you find a hot spot, but it is not where you can set
> your
> > computer.
>
>    Guess I'll need to reluctantly make the trip to Fry's for a USB wifi
> adapter, entention cable, and antenna.
>
>    And look at choices for WiFi/Cellular translators, too.
>
>    More to carry on trips, but should help communicating with the office
> network.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.