[PLUG] Hiring Open Source Contributors

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Dec 7 13:19:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, 7 Dec 2014, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> Compare code samples. If that's not enough, look at their skills with git,
> bug reports/fixes, and general development/communication habits. OSS
> contribution and competence seem so correlated that I wouldn't consider a
> candidate without it (and I'm not alone here.) What will you get for going
> the opposite way?

   Permit me to offer a different perspective that is not directly related
to coding skills.

   One cannot change corporate culture or group think when at the bottom of
the hierarchy. Best to avoid putting one's self in that situation.

   The boss' attitude reflects the corporate mindset and culture. If someone
with a strong OS conviction were to take a job there she is highly unlikely
to remain for any length of time. There are other aspects of that company
that would make job tenure short; either being fired or quitting when the
situation became intolerable.

   Whomever asked the original question is working for the wrong employer.
He, or she, should not try to convince the curly-haired boss to hire those
with an OS background but should find a new employer who appreciates that
philosophy and leave the old company to its fate.