[PLUG] Specifying a minimalist/instuctional/??? Linux install

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 22:10:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> My preferred method don't install rather than don't run.

To do that will typically require some knowledge about how the installer
operates
to reduce your packages set to a bare minimum.   Even there, the best method
for being able to repeat this process is to set up a configuration file and
do a network
install.

> The portion of my results that may be useful to the community in
> general will be met-packages for better control of what gets
> installed. There once was Debian work being done aimed at
> embedded systems that was going in that direction. That project
> has been terminated as small systems are now so big and fast that
> efficiency and careful design for purpose not relevant ;<

Embedded systems have moved on from being able to self-host their
development environment as most systems are resource constrained.
You just need to know where to look to find their replacements.
Some projects: Buildroot or Yocto
These aren't distributions but tools to build your own systems.