[PLUG] External drive enclosures?

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Mon Dec 8 22:59:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 13:05:40 -0800
Tyrell Jentink <tyrell at jentink.net> wrote:

> Like many Linux users, I use older desktops as my servers.  The
> practical upshot is obvious: I'm not using it anymore, and it's still
> very powerful, so I might as well put it to work.
>
> But desktops just aren't built to hold lots of drives... This case,
> for example, has 3x 3.5inch drive bays, and 4 SATA slots; I have 1
> drive for the local OS, and 2 drives for shared content (Formatted
> with BTRFS). I want to add 2 more drives.
>
> It SEEMS like it should be as easy as adding an additional SATA host,
> and run the SATA cables to a shielded drive enclosure... But all the
> drive enclosures I have found have their own PCBs, and seem to have
> all sorts of USB host "stuff" in them.  Is there such a thing as a
> "Dumb" enclosure, that you put a drive in and run cables to the
> computer and call it done?

This can be done fairly easily, assuming you're talking about a SATA
host adapter card and some eSATA cables.

I've also heard of such a thing as a SATA "expander box."  Connect the
box to your computer via one SATA cable, and install more SATA drives
in the box.  Sort of the SCSI LUN idea, but for SATA.  I imagine that
such a device is expensive, though.  I've not looked into such a
beastie, as I've never needed one.

> On a related note, is there actually a difference between SATA and
> eSATA? Why do all eSATA cases insist on having USB too?

There is very little difference between SATA and eSATA.  The cables
are different; SATA have L-shaped connectors, and eSATA have I-shaped
connectors.  Also, the eSATA cables are better shielded.

Why add USB to eSATA enclosures?  So that the same enclosure can be
sold to more people.  One of the great lies of the Universe:  One Size
Fits All.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"The attitude of 'Oh, you want it should work?  That costs extra!'
is the biggest security hole in computer software today."