[PLUG] Specifying a minimalist/instuctional/??? Linux install

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Mon Dec 8 23:16:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 01:20:14PM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> /context
> I am trying to move away from Windows.
> I was originally pointed to Ubuntu. Its primary failure was
> trying to reach the same audience as the latest/greatest
> Microsoft offering. Both suffer from "vendor knows best" syndrome
>
> The short form of my personal goal is:
>     1. bring back *PERSONAL* to personal computing.
>        Primary implication   - shall not be capable of being a
> network server.
>        Secondary implication - only one person will ever be the
> operator.
>     2. understand Linux internals
>     3. minimal number of modules, secondarily minimize size of
> footprint
>
> Things influencing my outlook
>    I predate CPM-80
>    Reading about "Linux from Scratch" and Slackware
>    Some of the live CDs did a lot with small footprint

[To no surprise of some]
I suggest you, at the least, give Arch Linux a look.

The first three paragraphs from "The Arch Way" https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Special:SpecialPages

  Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. — Leonardo da Vinci

  Simplicity is absolutely the principal objective behind Arch
  development. Many GNU/Linux distributions define themselves as
  "simple." However, simplicity itself has many definitions.  Arch Linux
  defines simplicity as without unnecessary additions, modifications,
  or complications, and provides a lightweight UNIX-like base structure
  that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their
  own needs. In short: an elegant, minimalist approach.

  A lightweight base structure built with high programming standards will
  tend to have lower system resource demands. The base system is devoid of
  all clutter that may obscure important parts of the system, or make access
  to them difficult or convoluted. It has a streamlined set of succinctly
  commented, clean configuration files that are arranged for quick access
  and editing, with no cumbersome graphical configuration tools to hide
  possibilities from the user. An Arch Linux system is therefore readily
  configurable to the very last detail.

That, if I may say so, sounds like a paraphrasing of your described goal.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity