[PLUG] Specifying a minimalist/instuctional/??? Linux install

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Tue Dec 9 05:43:01 UTC 2014

Larry Brigman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:
>
>> Larry Brigman wrote:

>>> To do that will typically require some knowledge about how the installer
>>> operates to reduce your packages set to a bare minimum.   Even there,
>>> the best method for being able to repeat this process is to set up a
>>> configuration file and do a network install.
>>
>> I have a physical constraint - I only have dial-up. I purchase
>> the complete set of stable (have both Squeeze and Wheezy). I've
>> asked related questions on debian-user. One reply was to
>> investigate using debootstrap or multistrap (I'm leaning to the
>> later).
>>

> I was thinking that you need to do multiple computer set ups - the
> education computers.
> Get one figured out then you will either need to clone the drive or set up
> a temporary
> network to install the others.  The other choice here is to move the
> install and the config
> file to a USB device for the install.

I've work out another method influenced by interim goals I've had
along my journey.

I'm learning the art creating/using preseed files. I've set aside
a laptop for experimenting with various configurations. I got
tired of manually entering the same information repeatedly. Once
suggested, that logically led to considering scripted installs
using debootstrap or multistrap.

> Maybe I think too much like a programmer or test engineer.  If I have to do
> it more that
> twice, I'm going to find a way to automate and document it at the same time.

I spent many years in engineering support. That's the way I think.