[PLUG] Run graphics apps from the command line, but suppress graphics.

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Sat Dec 13 00:49:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 03:43:43PM -0800, Tim Wescott wrote:
> Is there some way of running a command from a shell that gives the
> command a working X environment (so that it can make the figure), but
> hides that environment from me (so that I can keep designing a circuit,
> answering my mail, or whatever it is that engineers do)?

Xnest is a possibility.  It's an X11 application that is both a client
and server; in other words, a completely self-contained X11
environment inside of an X11 application running under the "real"
server on your system.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xnest

You could start up a new Xnest, and then export the appropriate
$DISPLAY environment variable value to make:

  Xnest :10
  DISPLAY=:10 make my_web_site

Then any X windows opened by make or its child processes will remain
contained within the Xnest window.

--
Paul