[PLUG] Run graphics apps from the command line, but suppress graphics.

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 20:04:52 UTC 2014

Yes that is one issue I have with multiple desktops, but the are so handy
that
I still work around it, but it sure would be nice if the application opened
on the
desktop that it got called from, not the one where the focus is. Even
better if
there was a app that would say on Cairo doc or something else a flashing
icon
showing that something opened up on a disktop that is not on the screen.

I use Compiz and love it, I really find it hard to work without it, but
that one
little issue of a called program opening on the desktop in focus rather than
the one it was called from would be nice to have a work around.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Tim Wescott <tim at wescottdesign.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-12-12 at 16:23 -0800, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 03:43:43PM -0800, Tim Wescott wrote:
> > > This is a medium-bizarre question, but an answer would be of great help
> > > to me.  I've actually asked it on the Scilab list, but if there's not a
> > > Scilab answer to it, I'd be happy with a Linux one:
> > >
> > > I have some papers that I maintain on my web site, for example:
> > > http://wescottdesign.com/articles/Sampling/sampling.pdf.
> > > [snip]
> > > Is there some way of running a command from a shell that gives the
> > > command a working X environment (so that it can make the figure), but
> > > hides that environment from me (so that I can keep designing a circuit,
> > > answering my mail, or whatever it is that engineers do)?
> >
> > Does your desktop environment support multiple virtual desktops?
> > Can you direct it to use of them while you work in another?
> >

> If so, I don't know how.  One of my frustrations with multiple virtual
> desktops is that if a process on some other desktop creates a window, it
> almost always comes up on the current window (when it doesn't, it's
> something important that you did want in your face).  So not only do you
> suffer this problem, but if you launch some slow-starting app, you have
> to wait on the desktop until it's up, or move it from wherever you went
> after you started it.
>
> --
>
> Tim Wescott
> www.wescottdesign.com
> Control & Communications systems, circuit & software design.
> Phone: 503.631.7815
> Cell:  503.349.8432

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.