[PLUG] Connecting to POP3 port with SSL from the command line to use with windows program

Martin A. Brown martin at linux-ip.net
Sat Dec 20 18:21:34 UTC 2014

Hi there,

> I run a windows email program and need to connect to an email
> server that uses SSL. There is a method to set up an SSL
> connection in Linux and I can't remember what the command is and
> the proper syntax. It is something like command localport:500
> remoteport:995
>
> Can anyone help me out so I can set it up on my system?

It is unclear to me which side you are trying to have speaking SSL.
I'm assuming your client speaks plaintext and the server is equipped
with SSL.  If it's a one shot or infrequent need, then I would use
socat for this.

   socat TCP-LISTEN:10110 OPENSSL:server.example.net:995

I use port 10110, since non-root users cannot bind to 110 (and
there's no reason to be root).  Then, tell the client to connect to
plaintext port 10110.

The stunnel utility also comes to mind, if you need to go the
other direction, where you have a plaintext service and you want
to expose it via SSL.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown