[PLUG] No ssh cracking attempts?

Jim Garrison jhg at jhmg.net
Tue Dec 23 17:31:49 UTC 2014

On 12/23/2014 9:22 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Jim Garrison wrote:
>
>> I never get ANY ssh cracking attempts by the simple expedient of running
>> SSH on a non-standard port. I used to get hundreds of attempts a day but
>> reconfigured SSH to listen on a specific port above 20000 and now never
>> see any attempts.
>
> Jim,
>
>    Thought about this for a while. Now's a good time for me to learn how to
> configure both sshd and ssh on the portables to use a higher port. Something
> to learn over this slow holiday period.

It's a simple one-line change in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

    Port 21499

instead of "Port 22" and then restart sshd.

On the Linux/Cygwin client side it's a command-line parameter or an
entry in ~/.ssh/config, as in

    host thor
    hostname ip.add.re.ss
    port 21499
    user fred
    identityfile ~/.ssh/fred.dsa

Other devices usually have a way to store the desired port.

--
Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88