[PLUG] Scientific Linux 7

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Tue Dec 23 19:17:32 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 04:29:35PM -0800, Marvin Kosmal wrote:

> Installed Scientific Linux 7 yesterday..
> No Networking.

There are non-intuitive aspects of the SL/RHEL install.
The first is the response to a non-64 bit CPU - the install
hangs with the "atom" image but does not emit an error message.

Two more aspects are manual partitioning, and setting up
networking.  Both are on the "INITIALIZATION SUMMARY"
page.  You must click the right selection under "SYSTEM":
"NETWORK & HOSTNAME" and then set up the machine with the
particulars of your network.  Otherwise, the install does
not set up and test networking - which is good default
behavior, connecting to networks should be intentional
and informed in this dangerous world.

AFTER setting up networking, you can set "DATE & TIME"
and your NTP server, select additional software (again, a
minimum install is the safe default), and make other tweaks.

The SL7-With-Everything install image is 4.2 GB, and won't
fit on an ordinary DVD.  Even with that huge imag3, install
draws some packages from the server, and updates after boot.

I install off a USB flash drive;  8 GB Lexar drives on
sale $4.99 at Office Depot.  You create the drive with
"dd if=SL-7-mumble.iso of=/dev/sdb" (or whatever, be careful
to pick the correct flash drive!).  Flash drives are much
faster, and boot with most computers, though you want a drive
with an activity light so you know that it is still working.

Now I am making GNOME 3 look like GNOME 2.  I hate tablet
computer UI's.  Start by clicking the gear symbol on the
login page, and select Gnome Classic.  I'm still figuring
out how to make my new desktop look like my old desktop,
and a lot of old features are moved or missing.  I'm
slowly making notes at http://wiki.keithl.com/SL7

BTW, my download from Fermilab to my Frontier FIOS home
was capped at 4 mbps, even though I pay for 15 mbps
service.  2 hour distro download.  I get full bandwidth
from most other sources.  My offsite server can download
the distro at 800 mbps, about 45 seconds.  I presume one
of the peering connections is throttling the download
to provide high QOS for video.  I hate TV over IP.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com