[PLUG] Desktop Computer Monitor choice

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 21:27:56 UTC 2014

I have a suspicion that my current monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 216 BW) is
going to quit one of these not-to-distant days.  In order to avoid a panic
purchase, I am exploring the choices, and looking for recommendations.

I use the HDMI input.   I can physically accommodate a little bit wider
monitor, maybe to 23".  Keeping to the present height of 17" would make the
replacement easy, although I could handle up to 19" with some changes to
the desk.  I have no interest in downgrading to a lower resolution.
Current pixel size of .276 mm is adequate; I do not know if a finer pixel
size would be better or worse.

lspci says:  VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C77 [GeForce
8200] (rev a2)

I see that some specs site very high contrast ratios, which I expect would
improve the viewing experience.  The brightness specs of the
LED-illuminated units are a little lower that the present monitor, although
I never use its full brightness capability.  (It is likely the CCFL or its
power supply is what is failing on the Samsung, so LED would be desired.)

What brands are worthy of consideration?  What other specs should I be
looking at?

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

-Denis