[PLUG] O.T.VoIP and Satellite

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 22:14:24 UTC 2014

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 23:05:21 -0800
> From: Chuck Hast <wchast at gmail.com>
> Subject: [PLUG] O.T.VoIP and Satellite
> To: "Portland Linux/Unix Group" <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
>
> Folks,
> This is a issue that I have been trying to figure out, and I have been
> talking to the two parties involved.
>
> I am a HughesNet user (that is all we have out in the woods here)
> I have been using a AT&T microcell on the satellite link since July.
>
> When I moved here I was told that the microcell would probably not
> work, or at best with a lot of latency, well it did quite well, I always
> told people at the start of a call that I was on a satellite link and that
> there would be some delay, no issues.
>
> Then on the 15th of Dec the outbound audio went to trash. I can
> hear anything on the far end just fine, voice quality is good nothing
> missing. But the outbound sounds totally distorted if there is any-
> thing at all.
>
> AT&T has been working with me on it, so far they do not see any-
> thing wrong with the microcell, HughesNet totally washes their
> hands, the thing that I have observed is that this whole thing took
> a dump after there was a DHCP assignment change ( Hughesnet
> seems to change them all the time) the other thing that I had noticed
> was that prior to that change, applications that tried to map your IP
> address to your location usualy showed me as being somewhere
> near Kansas City. Now they think I am near Chicago.
>
> Does anyone on the list have any experience with this sort of thing.
> I am going to see if I can get a hub on between the microcell and
> the rest of the network and try to sniff where it is talking to, then see
> if I do a traceroute to see what manner of delays I see on the link.
>
> In my miserable experience with VoIP, if there was a issue it always
> seemed like it showed up on both paths, but in this case it is only the
> outbound, so I am assuming that something is causing a delay there
> somewhere.
>
> The microcell comes on line and appears to be happy, but no joy
> with the outbound audio.

Hey Chuck - I'd start by going to this website and testing you VOIP
connection and hopefully get some useful data.
http://www.voipqualitytest.com/

With many years of Network Engineering work experience, I'd say it's highly
unlikely this problem is caused by a DHCP assignment change. Especially if
the only change in your internet connection is outbound voip call quality.

I also wouldn't put too much into geo-ip mapping either. ISPs are assigned
blocks of ip addresses from IANA and those assignments are not
geographically based. Geo-ip location takes extra logic, such as Google's
My Location service which requires a browser that supports W3C's Geolcation
API. Google also makes use of it by getting your web browser to provide
information an wifi access points nearby.

Cheers,

Mike