[PLUG] Can't connect to router admin page

Keith keith.w_65 at centurylink.net
Fri Feb 21 02:56:16 UTC 2014

[posted to Portland Linux/Unix Group <plug.lists.pdxlinux.org> & emailed]
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:13:35 -0800, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com>
wrote:

> I have a Linksys WRT54G router. I'm using it as I type, and it's
> handling normal traffic in the house without any complaints. I want to
> visit the router's admin page. When I enter 192.168.0.1 (I changed it to
> 0.1 when I set it up) I get the following error message:

> The connection was reset
>
> The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
>
>      The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in
> a few moments.
>      If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
> connection.
>      If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
> make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
>
> Other than resetting the router, is there something I can do to break
> through to the admin page?

This is a problem with the routers web server software. The only thing you
can do is try a hard reset. Most routers allow you to back up all the
settings, so you can restore them after a hard reset.