[PLUG] network traffic shaping for servers

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Feb 22 23:31:20 UTC 2014

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> 2) I run a Personal Telco access point, and am glad to serve my
Keith> community.  However, sometimes my guests use up most of my
Keith> bandwidth.  Is there an easy way to thottle the bandwidth
Keith> feeding the access point (it is by itself on a private DMZ) to
Keith> a reasonable fraction of my FIOS feed, say to 3mbps?

[Keith has a homebrew PTP node, not our standard firmware kit]

You can only throttle outbound traffic, you have no control over the
order of what is sent to you.  Our experience is that you really only
notice other people's traffic when you have a bufferbloat

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat

latency problem on the outbound queue, which "feels" slow because your
transmissions are having to wait in a long line to get out.  So, look
for upstream saturation.  Graphing the traffic volumes in something
like Cacti or Munin can help diagnosing the problem.  Other tools like
iftop can help figure out where the traffic is coming from.  Running a
modern kernel with CoDeL can help too.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoDel

--
Russell Senior, President