[PLUG] Can't connect to router admin page - Buffalo N600 setup with Comcast

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Sun Feb 23 16:57:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 09:24:02AM -0800, Dick Steffens wrote:
And in the response chain Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> > If you can wait a few days I ordered the one Russel mentioned and can provide a
> > review and getting it to work with Comcast report.
>
> Good point. I haven't had the time to dig into it, yet. And I'm not in a
> rush. The current setup functions okay for our day to day needs. I need
> to turn on wifi, since my wife's sister gave her an old iPad 2. That's
> why I was trying to get to the admin page. I'll probably do that this
> weekend. But I know that I want to migrate to allowing all my machines
> to use DHCP instead of static IPs, and I need something more capable
> than the old router I have in order to achieve the same effect.
>
> So, yes. I look forward to your report on how well it works with Comcast.

Good News: the only device you have to "register" with Comcast is the modem.
So you can swap out the wireless bridge, internal network router, what have you, at will.
No muss, no fuss.  My memory seems to be a little paranoid.

As to setting up the Buffalo, I have nothing to report.
I took up Russel Senior on his offer of one pre-configured as a Personal Telco Project node.
This provided:
  * a public WiFi net with SSID www.personaltelco.net
  * a private WiFi net with SSID JaMHome (yes, he did the setup for me)
  * everything set up to just plug the cables in and go

I didn't leave well enough alone. Changed the internal DHCP to set my servers to the addresses I want.
Modified a few other bits, but that was unnecessary. Just had to personalize it.

If you'd consider being a PTP node you should contact Russel.

Disclaimer: I've hosted a PTP node since at least 2002. There have been zero problems with providing public WiFi.
So I recommend doing so.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity