[PLUG] network traffic shaping for servers

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Sun Feb 23 18:51:58 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 11:16:26PM -0800, Louis Kowolowski wrote:
> If you are using Linux, you might check out tc
(http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/330252:weekend-project-configuring-qos-for-linux-routers-gateways)

Thanks!

tc was only moderately challenging to figure out, and the tutorial helped.
I'm not doing any fancy shaping, so I could avoid most of the complexity in
the tutorial.  The main thing I learned from fooling around is that tc will
complain but not break things if I screw up the syntax, so I frobbed until
I got a useful result.

tc -s qdisc
  Prints out the configuration of all the interfaces.  defaults to pfifo_fast.
  eth2 is the dmz port on my alix running RedHat Enterprise Linux

tc qdisc replace dev eth2 root tbf rate 3mbit burst 10kb limit 10kb
  Throttles eth2 to 3 megabits per second, verified with Internet Speed test.
  I'll put that line in a startup script and also cron.daily in case the
  machine gets confused.

There might be better ways to do both of the above, but this seems to work!
Now to look at Paul Mullen's suggestion of fail2ban for throttling the bots
attempting to choke my server.

Thanks again,

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com