[PLUG] Network confusion

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Feb 24 01:23:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 16:22:42 -0800
Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:

>On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 3:51 PM, John Jason Jordan
><johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I could fix the security and the name issue if I could just get into
>> its Admin page.

>The Linksys should have a static IP address in it's configuration.
>Since it looks like it got reset, that is probably 192.168.1.1. That
>could overlap with your DLINK. If so, just turn off the DLINK
>temporarily. Connect to the Linksys directly, go to the Admin page at
>192.168.1.1 and change the IP to something in the same network as the
>DLINK, but not overlapping any other addresses.

I tried connecting to 192.168.1.1 with Firefox, but it still won't
connect. I also tried 0.1, 0.179, and 0.165, all without success.

Note that the D-Link shipped as 192.168.0.1 and I always just left it
that way. My whole network is on 192.168.0 rather than 192.168.1.

>So the Linksys itself has the .179 address or does your laptop.
>If the Linksys has the .179 address then are you able to access it via
>that address?

I had reserved IP addresses in the D-Link so that devices would always
be assigned the same address. I posted previously a copy and paste from
the D-Link reservations page, but after restarting the Linksys and
finding that the D-Link had assigned 0.165 to it with the new name
'linksys' I went into the D-Link reservations page and deleted
'JJJ' (which was 0.179) and renamed 'linksys' to 'JJJ.' So JJJ now has
192.168.0.165. However, when I went to connect to the Linksys after
doing that it still appears as 'linksys' in both the laptop and the
phone. Both can connect to it now, but there is no security.

I think I know why the D-Link created the new name and IP adddress. My
understanding is that when the Linksys was reset the D-Link assigned
its address to it from the reserved list. But since I had swapped out
the Linksys the one that was plugged in had a different Mac address,
hence the D-Link made up a new name and IP address for it. I need to
get into its admin page to set its name and fix the security, but I
still can't connect to it via Firefox to do so.

>> And I'm still puzzled why I have an eth0 and an eth1, where eth1 has
>> all the traffic and eth0 seems to have none.
>
>I think one is the wired connection and the other is the wireless.
>Either way, this is not what is causing you trouble.

After getting the Linksys working with the name 'linksys' the ifconfig
command now shows eth0 (no traffic), eth1 (all my traffic), wlan0, and
lo. Previously wlan0 did not appear. It appears that eth0 is not wlan0,
but I don't know what it is or where it came from.