[PLUG] Can't connect to router admin page

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Feb 24 02:05:53 UTC 2014

>>>>> "Ronald" == Ronald Bynoe <ronald at bynoe.us> writes:

Ronald> Hey Russell, I might be interested in running a Personal Telco
Ronald> node. The site seems to have some amount of dated material, so
Ronald> for those of us considering the idea, can you describe what it
Ronald> takes and what our next steps should be?

Generally, our group helps people share their internet connection with
their community, and generally encourages people to build wireless
links to their neighbors.  Usually, the people we are helping don't
know very much about wifi, so we help educate them.

To be a node, you generally need to have an internet connection to
share.  In some cases, you may be able to relay off of an existing
network, but that's not so common.  Our original idea was to build
alternative infrastructure.  That can be difficult due to the
short-house/tall-tree phenonomon, but where possible, we'd like to
exploit that possiblity.

The next step is usually talking to me ;-).  We can talk about your
specific situation and goals, and I can suggest things.

Ronald> Also, since you have a lot of experience setting up AP
Ronald> hardware, do you have any recommendations for 802.11ac
Ronald> hardware that's OpenWRT compatible?  My phone and laptop now
Ronald> supports it, and if I'm getting a new AP, I'd like it to be as
Ronald> future proof as I can get.

I hang out with the OpenWrt people quite a bit, and have heard talk of
802.11ac routers.  I have not had my hands on one yet.  My general
advice is to get something with Atheros (now Qualcomm/Atheros)
radios.  The drivers available for those radios are much better,
historically, than the alternatives (Broadcom, ick).  Sometimes, NAND
flash can be a problem too.

I'll let you know if I hear anything concrete.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net