[PLUG] Network confusion

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Feb 24 06:56:56 UTC 2014

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 17:42:23 -0800
Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:

>On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM, John Jason Jordan
><johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I tried connecting to 192.168.1.1 with Firefox, but it still won't
>> connect. I also tried 0.1, 0.179, and 0.165, all without success.
>>
>> Note that the D-Link shipped as 192.168.0.1 and I always just left it
>> that way. My whole network is on 192.168.0 rather than 192.168.1.

>So the problem may be the two different networks. If you connect the
>laptop directly to the Linksys wireless or via wire directly to the
>Linksys and make sure it's ip address is on the 192.168.1 network,
>then you should be alble to go to 192.168.1.1 and see the admin page.

Well, I finally managed to get into the Linksys admin page. I did it as
you suggested, by connecting a cable directly from my laptop to the
Linksys, while leaving the D-Link disconnected from it. I was changing
the name of the Linksys and suddenly the radio station I was streaming
on my desktop computer (through the D-Link) stopped streaming. A few
moments later I determined that my entire network was down.

It took me nearly an hour to get it working again. And I still don't
know why it went down. I finally got it back up by turning off
everything - cable modem, D-Link, switches - and then reinitializing
them one at a time. I got it going just in time to see Downton Abbey
with my HDHomeRun.

At this point the Linksys is connected to nothing and powered off. It's
going to have to stay that way for the time being, as I don't have time
to deal with a messed up network right now. I can live without the
Linksys, but not without an internet connection.