[PLUG] Wireless local network

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 08:38:49 UTC 2014

> I need help setting up a local wireless network.
>
> I have a (long term borrowed) laptop on which I have installed Ubuntu
> 12.04 running Unity.
> On my desktop I am running Ubuntu 12.04 w/Unity
>
> Wireless router is AirRouter.  I can get to the internet through the
> wireless without a
> problem.  I want to be able to read from and write to files on the
> desktop from the laptop.
>
> openssh-server and openssh-client are both installed on both machines.
>
> I ran into server refused connection. Web searching I see instructions to
> run:
> parents at R2D4:~$ sudo netstat -anp | grep sshd
>
> I get:
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2022            0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      572/sshd
> tcp6       0      0 :::2022                 :::*
> LISTEN      572/sshd
>
> "If you don't get results, or they don't show you're listening on tcp
> 0.0.0.0:22... fix that."
>
> I fixed that by changing the port in the client to 2022.
>
> Made progress, but now get Permission denied.  The client dialog box
> wants folder, user name and password, which I believe I have entered
> correctly.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> -Denis

I suspect that because you're using the non-standard ssh port that you will
need to use the "-L" option and possibly the "-g" option if the remote host
is also not listening on the standard ssh port #. In addition, running the
command with the "-v" option might yield some useful output.

*-L **port:host:hostport*Specifies that the given port on the local
(client) host is to be forwarded to the given host and port on the remote
side. This works by allocating a socket to listen to *port* on the local
side, and whenever a connection is made to this port, the connection is
forwarded over the secure channel, and a connection is made to *host* port
*hostport* from the remote machine. Port forwardings can also be specified
in the configuration file. Only root can forward privileged ports. IPv6
addresses can be specified with an alternative syntax: *port/host/hostpor*

eg.

ssh -vg -L 2022:localhost:2222 user at remotepc

HTH!