[PLUG] localhost samba share

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 00:55:59 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com>
wrote:

> Windoze (under vmware) warning!
>
> Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I set up vmware with
> windoze 2000 on it so I could run quickbooks for my accountant.
> It connects through samba (smb) to a couple of directories in
> my linux userspace on laptop "fred".  Everything works OK
> when fred is plugged into the network and the local dns server.
>
> When I remove fred from the network, fred forgets who he is,
> and smb will no longer connect.  Bad configuration, the
> "windows shares" point at fred when I would prefer they
> point at localhost.
>
> But a half hour of websearch and frobbing brings me no closer
> to understanding how to set up an smb connected windoze letter
> drive that points to localhost.  Is there a simple cookbook
> procedure usable by decaying minds like mine?
>
> Perhaps I haven't set up /etc/samba/smb.conf correctly.
>
> Keith

If I understand you correctly you have:
Host = Linux
Guest = win2000
Need = share host directories with guest OS

In your scenario you DO NEED TO USE SAMBA. Sorry to have to yell, but I get
in to a tizzy whenever I see people do something easy the hard way.

1. VMware and vmplayer has a function that allows you to mount a host
folder/directory in the guest as a windows2000 drive letter. You may need
to purchase a guest addition driver.

2. Better to use virtualbox with its guest additions and setup is dead
simple. F/OSS

3. Qemu if you love the Linux command line. Faster, (VB above is based on
qemu) but getting the command line options set up correctly can be a bit
tricky.

By using the built in VM host sharing facility, you do need to worry about
the network being up or down... Or Samba, which I happen to hate with a
burning passion...

--
You! What PLANET is this!
    -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0