[PLUG] lpr: Connection refused [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 9 00:42:38 UTC 2014

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014, Daniel Hedlund wrote:

> connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(631),
> sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.55.1")}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection
> refused)

   I saw that but did not know how to interpret it.

> Your lpr command is trying to connect to cups on 192.168.55.1:631. If that
> IP address is also your local computer, then it's likely that cups is only
> running on localhost and not all network interfaces (possibly
> intentionally).

   Well, 192.168.55.1 is the server and :631 is the CUPS interface visible
with a Web browser. As far as I know, that's the way it's always benn.
However, ... since the network configuration file was blanked when the
server shut down Monday it's possible that cupsd.conf was also changed.

> What does 'netstat -tl' show cups listening on?

tcp        0      0 localhost:ipp           *:*                     LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 localhost:ipp           [::]:*                  LISTEN

> If you want to make the cups server listen on 192.168.55.1 (for testing
> purposes), try adding the following to your cupsd.conf file and restart
> cupsd:
>
> Listen *:631

   Lines 16-18 in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf:
# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

> If that works then you should be able to print what you need. Ideally,
> you'll need to figure out why lpr is connecting on that IP instead of
> localhost if you don't want to keep it open.

   Well, 192.168.55.1 is supposed to be synonomus with localhost for
processes running on this host.

   /etc/cups/cupsd.conf was last modified December 14, 2010.

Thanks,