[PLUG] lpr: Connection refused [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 9 16:29:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> Have you tried deleting and recreating the printer definition in CUPS?

Rod, et al.:

   I just deleted and added the LJ 5. Stopped and re-started the CUPS server.
This is the result:

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ lpr 8000034681.pdf
lpr: Error - scheduler not responding!

   This is different from 'not connected', And now, when I specify the
printer I get a different error:

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ lpr -P laser5_duplex 8000034681.pdf
lpr: Bad Request
[rshepard at salmo ~]$ lpr -P colorp 8000034681.pdf
lpr: Bad Request

<break>

   Just fired up the laptop intending to try printing from it. However,
something bad happened to it that is probably related to the desktop
server/workstation shutdown Monday.

   The laptop has no ethernet routes and I cannot bring up eth0; it does not
show RUNNING. I add routes for eth0 but, of course, it cannot communicate
with other hosts on the LAN since the interface is UP but not RUNNING.

   I wonder if all this is caused by a failing Netgear firewall/router? I
don't see how that and the desktop unexpectedly shutting off could be
related (they're both on a UPS) but now there are two LAN issues: not
reaching the printers from the desktop and the laptop losing the interface
and routes when shut down.

   Whatever the problems are, I need to get them fixed. If any of you wither
network admin expertise would be willing to visit and work with me to fix
everything, I'll buy lunch or dinner or pay you for your time. This is
obviously beyond my experience and expertise and difficult to resolve via
e-mail messages.

   I can order a new Linksys WRT54GL router from Newegg (or buy one from
ENU) if the router went bad.